I created my site in 2007 as a way to share my experience and projects in marine electronics and technology. Through the years it has changed names and been rebranded, and old irrelevant content has been removed.
I write everything personally, have a published Review Policy that guarantees impartiality, and only write about things I'd use myself. You can subscribe to my newsletter be notified of new articles along with more inside details.
Steve Mitchell – @seabits_steve / @sailbits
I live in the Seattle, WA area with my husband Josh. I grew up in Gig Harbor and nearby areas, and have lived most of my life in Seattle proper. I've been fortunate enough to work for some amazing companies and travel the world to every continent except the two really cold ones.
I'm a Senior Director at F5 Networks responsible for Node.JS developers, DevOps engineers, and testers focused on an AWS & GCP application and complex performance testing. I've worked in the technology world since the early 1990s at companies involved with fingerprint identification, a big paper mill, gaming, online ticket sales, and hardware/software vendors.
I've been a boater since my teens, starting out with small sailboats on lakes and bays near Gig Harbor and Fox Island. I've owned boats of all shapes and sizes including my current 46′ Ocean Alexander Rendezvous, my 34′ Beneteau Grace, 32′ US Yachts Jammy, a couple of Catalinas, a 48′ Hunter, a scary swing keel trailerable sailboat, and two 40-50′ trawlers.
I love technology and boating, and try to think of more ways to make my life on the water more comfortable and safe. I'm a statistics nerd and love anything that allows me to log and analyze data later on.
I've spent the last 15 years working on boat electrical systems, internet connectivity, and all things marine electronics.
Facts about Steve
- I've played piano 🎹 since I was 5, and compose my own music 🎶 and can play just about any instrument you put in my hands 🎷🎺
- You can find other things I've written at 48 North and Panbo ✍️
- I grew up on a Christmas Tree Farm🎄
- I started my career in computing running one of the first BBS'es on the West Coast 📞
- I have a background in network administration, software development, and electrical systems 💻 ⚡️
- I've had over 30 drones and R/C helicopters and planes 🚁 ✈️
- I love statistics and remote monitoring – boats, houses, solar panels in the middle of nowhere – anything! 📊
If you ever have a question or suggestion, please Contact Me.