I regularly consults boaters around the world on designs, retrofits, and other deeply technical projects. I've been a boater since my teens, sailing the waters of the Salish Sea, Desolation Sound, Broughtons, and further, almost always single-handed. I'm also a voracious tester and technology consumer, always wanting to try something new and figure out how it can make boating better.
I am a jack of all trades, having done most every task or job on a boat that you could imagine. I pride myself in doing almost all of my own maintenance, performing extensive projects and refits, and I apply this knowledge and learning to every customer I work with.
My last three boats contained over 100 different networked devices, had completely reworked electrical systems with deep visibility, and were technical showcases.
I enjoy working on new projects and technologies, and especially testing new solutions, but I love speaking and writing about them even more. My passion for technology is driven by the need to share as much as possible with others so they can benefit from it as well.
I offer a number of consulting services depending on your needs.
- Internet System Design
- Electrical System Design
- Electrical Troubleshooting
- Internet Troubleshooting
- Peplink Remote Configuration Service
- Electrical System Basics Training
- Basic Boat Systems Training
I offer both hourly rates and a fixed cost for consulting engagements. The hourly vs. fixed cost decision depends on size and scope of the effort including complexity, time frame, and the like. Training is a fixed cost and in person. Here are a couple of examples:
- Basic electrical system design review - 30 minute review call with you, 1-2 hours of review and investigation + emails, follow up email(s) and call(s). Hourly cost.
- Full system design from scratch - 30 minute review call, 2-3 hours of design, multiple emails, follow up calls, and final plans. Total hours could exceed 6 hours with additional follow up during install. Fixed cost.
- Electrical Systems Basics, Basic Boat Systems Trainings - these are in person (not remote) and are usually all day. Fixed cost.
If you're interested in a discussion about consulting, please select a time from below.